Former 1st round draft pick (2017 NY Giants #23 overall), Evan Engram, will get a fresh start with the Jacksonville Jaguars in 2022. Engram signed a 1 year/$9 million fully guaranteed contract with the Jaguars in March.
Engram earned Pro Bowl honors in 2020, and most expected him to have a great 2021 season. But, 2021 turned out to be a low statistical season for the young TE. Engram suffered a calf injury prior to the start of the 2021 season, but most fantasy rankings listed him as a Top 15 TE.
- 2017 Season: 15 games, 64 rec for 722 yards, 6 TDs, 55.7% Catch%
- 2018 Season: 11 games, 45 rec for 577 yards, 3 TDs, 70.3% Catch%
- 2019 Season: 8 games, 44 rec for 467 yards, 3 TDs, 64.7% Catch%
- 2020 Season: 16 games, 63 rec for 654 yards, 1 TD, 57.8% Catch%
- 2021 Season: 15 games, 46 rec for 408 yards, 3 TDs, 63% Catch%
Currently most 2022 fantasy rankings have Engram around the 20th overall TE. Here are the TE statistics for the Jaguars last season.
- Dan Arnold: 8 games, 28 rec for 324 yards, 0 TD, 68.3% Catch%
- James O’Shaughnessy: 7 games, 24 rec for 244 yards, 0 TD, 70.6% Catch%
- Chris Manhertz: 17 games, 6 rec for 71 yards, 1 TD, 66.7% Catch%
- Luke Farrell: 15 games, 7 rec for 56 yards, 0 TD, 63.6% Catch%
- Jacob Hollister: 7 games, 9 rec for 55 yards, 1 TD, 64.3% Catch%
- Total TE Production: 74 receptions for 750 yards, and 2 TDs
Engram will give the Jaguars a clear TE1, and he is building chemistry with Trevor Lawrence. The two made for a good combo in OTAs this year.
“He runs like a receiver,” Lawrence said. “Just having that matchup is going to be great for us. Safety, linebacker … whoever’s going to have to cover him, it’s going to be tough.”
The Jaguars added Christian Kirk in the off-season, and this should help create some opportune matchups for Engram.
The major complaint about Engram has been drops and injuries. Most top fantasy TEs average around 70% Catch%. Currently Engram has a career Catch% of 62.3%. If he can improve on that Catch% and come close to his 2018 Catch%, then a huge season lies ahead.
We could definitely see Engram as a Top 15 fantasy TE this season, and potentially a Top 10. Keep this in mind when drafting your 2nd TE this fantasy season.